Tuesday 20 January 2015

The blogs of others

Today, I trawl through cyberspace to discover Blogs to help me on my Journey.  My criteria?
  1. I'm a visual artist so I would like it to be visual with a good clear layout
  2. It needs to be contemporary about the art world and/or teaching and/or ILT
  3. Not too heavy on text as I find reading on-line totally draining
Here are five out of the countless I looked at, which have either caught the attention of the public or caught my eye along the way, plus a further link to a visual blog.

'Teachers toolkit' gets the vote as the UK's favourite teaching blog
If you want information and opinion about teaching then it is a really good blog.  However if you are like me and feel exhausted by trawling through electronic information overload, this is a bit heavy going.  Another recommended teaching blog comes from Thomas Starkey, a FE teacher in the North of England,
On the art side of things, a popular blog is the intriguingly titled 'Sleep drunk I dance' which has by far had the most page views of any artist blogs on the a-n website (formerly the Artists Newletter journal).  While it is extremely popular it is not for me.
Emily Speed struggles with the lack of money as an artist at
Set up as she says "to explore some of the issues facing artists trying to make a living out of this business" (Speed, 2009), a link from there takes you to a very interesting visual blog on tumblr.com where artists are invites to upload mind maps on this idea.
Linking with the earlier blogpost of mine on mind maps, take a look at this 
Gordon Dalton's mind map on being an artist
And here follows the two blogs I will be following, as they seem to me to compliment each other in regards to my Art & Design teaching practice and PGCE study.  

'Jonathon Jones on Art' blog for the Guardian definitely meets my criteria:  http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog
It is well laid out and easy to see what's going on.  The blogposts are contemporary, informative and thought provoking with titles that get you interested for example 'The art world's shame: why Britain must give its colonial booty back' and 'Will gay art tour of the Vatican get the Pope's seal of approval?'  These two blog posts would make excellent starting points to a student group discussion on the contemporary understanding of art and culture.  Perhaps it could be given as an 'advanced organiser' as proposed by Ausubel, to connect to the learners' prior learning and to prime them for the lesson (Curzon, 2000: 104)

This next blog I wish I had seen before starting my own blog:
http://www.bettshow.com/blogs/
This is the blog page of the BETT show (formerly known as the British Educational Training and Technology Show).  This blog has extremely relevant information on the subject of ILT in learning and teaching, with blogposts such as: 'Tablets in Education - The Pros, Cons and How to Manage them' and 'How best to integrate technology in the classroom'.  I highly recommend this blog to all teachers looking at using technology in teaching and learning.

Bibliography

a-n The Artists Information Company. (2014) 'Blogs'. Available at: https://www.a-n.co.uk/blogs [Accessed: 20th January 2015]
Curzon, L. B. (2000) 'Teaching in Further Education' (5th ed.). London:  Continuum.
Speed, E. (2009) 'Getting paid'. Available at: https://www.a-n.co.uk/blogs/getting-paid. [Accessed: 20th January 2015]

No comments:

Post a Comment